<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, July 14, 2006


waiting for mikey 


I'm waiting to pick up mikey from the airport. I've just looked at the arrivals on the website and it tells me his plane is going to get in at 12.15am instead of 11.40pm; just a little more waiting.

I'm very excited - just looking forward to bringing him home with me.

Mikey is eleven years younger than I and while he's a perfectly grown up man now, maybe there will always be something of the mother-son in our relationship. You see I got married very young, when Mikey was only 6. Our mum worked, so, while I was home looking after my baby, it was me who went to all Mikey's school open days and had him over during school holidays. Even further back, my girlfriends and I used to dress him up when he was a baby and take him for walks - he was like our own live doll.

As the years went on, every house I lived in and every important person in my life got to know Mikey. It's been very strange that Mikey has never, until tonight, set foot in my home of 6 years. Hopefully, while he's here he'll get to meet the new people in my life, see where I work and catch up on the life I live now. It will be a validation in a way.

Even last year when I lived in Canberra for 3 months, Mikey was one of my first visitors, met my Canberra friends, caught up with a Sydney friend of mine and just made himself part of it. That's Mikey.

Often we don't speak for months on end. He lives a very busy life and doesn't have a lot of time for chatting to me on the phone but somehow I always know he's there -know that if I ever needed him he'd drop everything and fly to me.

And it's not just me. He looks after our aged mother as well; visiting her every week, taking care of her shopping and banking and a myriad of other small and thankless chores. He does it all with gusto and enjoyment and makes people around him feel good.

Michael was a late addition to our family but I always think of him as a gift from God - what would we do without Mikey.

On another note it was my other brother's birthday today. Ken is 2 years younger than me and is a bit of a lost soul - drinks too much, doesn't keep in touch with his lovely children or grandchildren, is alone now after ending relationships with two nice women and we never even hear from him - even mum. It's so sad. Two brothers, the antithesis of each other. Why?

// posted by night-rider @ 10:35 pm #
Comments:
My money's on the fact that neither knows any other way. Kenny's always drunk beer, Moo has always been vibrant and kind and almost made an artform out of making people feel good about themselves. Interesting they both seemed to have adopted their trademark behaviours from their Dad, huh? Not necessarily vibrant like Moo, but certainly kind and made you feel warm when you were around him and the beer....well, that goes without saying.
x
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?