<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, March 27, 2006


Staying up late 


Well here I am, matchsticks propping open both eyes while I await my 1:30am flight out of Darwin. I've been at work all day and went to my last art class tonight, I've packed and am just waiting and hoping I don't doze off and miss the plane.

One of the instalments to make on the price of living in paradise is the fact that virtually all the planes go in the middle of the night - between midnight and 1:30am. The rest of Australia has a curfew and nothing flies in or out between about midnight and 5am - even Perth our other distant capital city has its last flight out at midnight but not Darwin - no, to live here you have to be prepared for a little inconvenience if you ever want to escape the place. Oh, and because it's so darn far from everywhere else in Australia you don't even have the option of driving out unless you have way more holidays owing than I do. I should really take all my holidays in Bali which is only a short flight instead of Sydney, Brisbane or Canberra.

So, providing I don't fall asleep in the next couple of hours, I'll head off to the airport at about 12:30 and arrive (relaxed and refreshed!) in Brisbane just before 6am. After that the two hour train ride to the Gold Coast is a doddle. I must be mad.

The main reason for my short break is to attend the opening of an art exhibition. The artist and his wife are old and dear friends and I haven't seeen them for seven years. It's his first major exhibition for ten years and well, none of is getting any younger. I'll try to post a picture of one of his sculptures if any of my picture-posting programs still work.

Better go and finish organising myself or I will miss the wretched plane. Keep your fingers crossed cyclone Wati doesn't choose tonight to hit Brisbane and none of his mates decide to head for Darwin while I'm away.

// posted by night-rider @ 10:35 pm #
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?