<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, May 25, 2005


The computer AGAIN! 


Another whingeing post I fear. I've lost so much blogging time with my computer problems - about which I'm sure you've already heard more than enough because everyone else has these problems too and some a lot worse right? Still... today I lugged my computer down the two flights of stairs and back to 'Hardly Normals' for the third time in a week. Yes folks, I take it in, they tell me it's fixed, I pick it up, battling with a computer and keyboard and mouse under one arm while I try to stiff arm the doors into the carpark, carefully bend down and place my precious computer on the footpath, open the car door, pick up the computer, place it carefully on the back floor, close the door, drive home, up the two flights of stairs again having negotiated the car door procedure once more, then battle with the keys to the unit door, holding the screen door open with one elbow while I struggle my burden past it and guess what? Yes, the computer still doesn't work properly. It's just so damn frustrating, time-consuming and energy-consuming.

And it's a big joke really - if only it weren't all of the above kinds of consuming - because over the phone the problem was diagnosed as a failure of the video card. It took not two days -as advised- but four for them to look at it. Your computer is ready they say, it was not the video card, there is nothing wrong with the video card, we just downloaded a new graphics driver and it works perfectly...and there's nothing wrong with the mouse, it works perfectly. Home I trudge with my burden.
I plug everything back in and nothing works as it should, in fact, the problem appears to be exactly the same.

Attempt number 2. It must be the video card, they say, obviously quite forgetting they'd told me only yesterday there was nothing wrong with the video card. We'll do it today. So I drive back there in the afternoon and go through the packhorse procedure all over again.I shy away from dealing with it that night - frankly I'm too bloody tired and don't want to face any more disappointments.

Attempt number 3. Feeling more in control the next morning, I start the hooking up procedure only to find the video card they have installed doesn't fit the lead I have. I ring them. The superior Miss on the phone pretends she doesn't understand what I'm talking about - they are all pretty standard, she says. I assure her the lead does not fit into the plug and ask to speak to the technician. He says it's a different kind of card, two fittings in one, move the lead to the blue fitting on the other side. But it doesn't fit that one either, the plug is too wide to get past the casing of the computer. He is apologetic and says he'll have to change the video card for a different type...but guess what? I have to drag the bloody beast back out there yet again. Oh and by the way, the mouse has never worked on either of the previous attempts once I get it home. Are you sure, I say, have you tested it, does the lead fit the plug, does this card work is it all properly installed, I don't want to have to bring it back for a fourth time. No, no all works properly - including the mouse.

And here I am friends, I can use it but the graphics are all big and ugly - I can't properly describe but I know the techo understood when I told him this before while it was crashing all the time, that sometimes I could use it but the graphics were all big and plain and ugly...so I can only assume it is not properly fixed yet and will require yet another camel trek to the store...oh, and by the way, the mouse still does not work!!!!!

I'm hoping to come back later and post something a little more interesting to you, but for now, I just had to get all this off my chest before I drive out there, this time with a cricket bat instead of a computer, and bash his nerdy little head in!!!!

// posted by night-rider @ 3:38 pm #
Comments:
Take your mouse with you, and make them plug in the computer and show it working before you leave the store. I've had to do that a few times. You might have a short in your mouse. I had that happen once.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?