<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, December 09, 2004


The invisible woman 


So, I've arranged a presentation for work followed by a bus trip to see the sights. There 17 of us on the bus and after a long and very sweaty visit to a mango farm, I, in my thoughtfulness, decide we should stop at a local shop and buy drinks to re-hydrate. I'm paying for the group.

They all run their drinks through the cash register where muggins is waiting, credit card in hand to pay. Duty done, I walk outside to see the bloody bus taking off from the car park without me.

Perhaps they are just moving it out of the way I think. No, not so. As they steam merrily up the hill I run out into the road waving my hands madly and laughing my head off. Faces are peering at me from the back window. They'll turn around soon, I think.

Picture this. The sun is high in the sky. It's about 38 degrees celcius. We are in the middle of nowhere, nothing for miles but the service station where the drinks were bought. I'm dancing in the middle of the road like a demented brolga.

As they disappear over the crest I decide the situation is more desperate than I'd thought and use my mobile to call one of them. My call is answered to gales of laughter - a chorus of 16 voices. "We know, we saw you, we are sending the car back, they should be there soon," she says.

I reckon I need counselling now. I'm paying for their bloody drinks and they totally forget about me and drive off. Just how forgetable is it possible to be!

To add insult to injury, for the remainder of that long afternoon, every time we stopped the bus, 16 concerned faces would stare at me and make pointed remarks to ensure I was on the bus. You would have thought I forgot to get back on; rather than them forgetting to wait for me.



// posted by night-rider @ 9:49 pm #
Comments:
You poor thing! That is a hilarious story.

I read somewhere recently that true "humilty" is walking in a room and being invisible.

So, in fact...you are just really humble and that's a great thing to be!
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?