<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, November 20, 2004


Off the page 


Last night I went to an evening of performance art run by the local writers' group. Its called 'off the page', and they have these evenings 5 or 6 times a year. I'm told, it's one of the longest-running events in Darwin. It's held at the local cafe, no more than 5 minutes drive from my home, so there's really no excuse for the fact that I've failed to attend any of these evenings in the 5 years I've lived here. Last night was the final 'off the page' for the year, so I twisted the arms of a few friends and got them to go along with me.

It was great. The standard of the writing was exceptional (I'd been afraid it would be very ordinary). It embodied all that I love about this place. Held in an open air cafe, situated under spreading trees, with the humid tropical air pressing thickly, writers and performers got up one after another, each with a limit of 5 minutes, to give us insights into their hearts and lives via their writings.

We were there from 7 till 11.30 when the final 15 minute break was called to allow the judges time to deliberate and bring in their verdict on the night's winner.

For my money they were all winners. Not only was the writing - short stories, chapters of novels, bush poems, modern poems, songs and things that were half-poem and almost song, excellent, but many of them were accomplished performers as well. It was well worth the $8 admittance fee!

But the best thing was the inclusiveness that characterises Darwin life. Performers ranged in age from 16 to 60s, a couple had disabilities, there were blatant lesbians and strident activists and old-timers who just wanted to tell a story, and you know what, every single one of them was listened to with respect, genuinely appreciated and applauded, while the numerous kids ran in and out and played noisy games in the next-door playground and a lone mongrel cadged tidbits under tables and scrounged a drink out of unattended glasses.

The pizzas and wine were pretty good as well!

// posted by night-rider @ 8:40 pm #
Comments:
Sounds awesome! I like to go events like that. I enjoy all the creative energy.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?