<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, October 14, 2004


Time Warps 


I find it difficult to come to terms with the relativity of time - the fact that it's not absolute. You know, it's midnight now, that's by the clock and that's definite - but it's only midnight here in central Australian time, in other parts of the world it's some other time; hell, it's even another time in different parts of this country.

But it's not so much that which bothers me. It's that time feels different. So, even though it's midnight here, if I went out tonight for a couple of hours, or had dinner earlier or later than usual, then it might feel like eleven o'clock or ten o'clock. Then there's that other thing, when you look at your watch and 'can't believe it's already x time' - where did those hours go - it feels like 2 hours earlier.

Worst of all is when you've been travelling by plane. I have to keep metaphorically pinching myself and reminding myself that yes, I did wake up in Sydney this morning and it is the same day and I am now 3,000 kilometres north in Darwin.

// posted by night-rider @ 1:02 am #
Comments:
Dolly is a nickname for Dolores or Delores -- both of which are derivative of Spanish, meaning "sorrow." :-)
 
I read in a science magazine once that a lot of scientists believe man made time. That there is no absolute time. Pretty wild stuff.

I remember as a kid that a year seemed to last forever. Now it speeds along faster and faster. What I wouldn't give for a slow summer day that seemed to last a year.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?