<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, October 14, 2004


Flower arranging 


Yes folks, your humble correspondent has taken up an evening course - not as you may think in something mind-expanding or work-related, but in the simple art of flower arranging.

I made myself a promise, or a goal if you wish, that I would enhance my newly single and therefore fairly lonely life by joining up to a course. Something I haven't done for the past 20 years. On close examination, almost everything on offer seemed to require a lot of study - foreign languages or musical instruments, talent - singing, or sitting at a computer, which I already do all day. The various forms of art were tempting, but I've done stuff with drawing and painting before and I wanted a new challenge. There were a few sewing-related ones on offer - patchwork, fashion design- but I'm allergic to anything that requires handling a needle- and there, right before my eyes was the exact thing I'd been looking for - flower arranging.

Now I've been arranging flowers in home vases for years and even helped a florist friend make dried floral arrangements for orders she had, way back when, but learning the tricks of flower arranging and working with fresh flowers, well it's always interested me and flowers are so beautiful and peaceful.

I must say I was a bit concerned that it was a rather 'elderly' thing to do, but tonight, newly purchased secateurs and note-pad in hand I fronted up to the eveing college.

It was great. I loved it. We used beautiful tropical flowers to make a 'modern, formal arrangement in a pot'. The teacher was young, German and lots of fun. The other women were all nice and mostly under 40. All the bits and pieces, flowers etc were supplied and best of all, we got to bring home our creation at the end of the evening.

Can't wait till next week - I think we are making a bouquet!

I'll post a picture of my creation now. The flowers are heliconia and bee-hive ginger, and I love my purple pot with the red ribbon.

If you've been thinking of taking a night course - go for it. I can't wait till next Thursday!

// posted by night-rider @ 11:11 pm #
Comments:
Ha ha, that's so Kath & Kim - I love it!!! Your arrangement could do with a couple of pineapples in there though...
 
I'm hurt kimmie, truly hurt!
 
GOOD FOR YOU! THERE'S NOTHIN' LIKE A "NIGHT COURSE" TO KICK YOUR BUTT BACK INTO THE WORLD. I'VE TRIED IT MYSELF. GREAT ARRANGEMENT, TOO...THAT'S YOUR FIRST ONE?
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?