<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, June 21, 2004


I wish I was an eagle 


Instead I feel more like some small and vulnerable creature of the night - a brown bandicoot perhaps?

If I was an eagle, I wouldn't hear that young woman saying that the new relationship, the friend of a friend of a friend that she had such high hopes for was getting kind of scary and maybe someone killed her rabbit today. Or another saying she'd offered to pay her husband for doing her assignment- with sexual favours, or a man, not yet old, who'd given 25 years of his life in dedication to his employer that he'd been passed over for promotion and pushed to take redundancy. Or about the good friends of my friends who've split up after 35 years of marriage, or the new grandmother who won't see her grandchild because she doesn't like its name. Or think of the person I used to call friend.

If I was an eagle I would soar above the petty fears, concerns and injustices of this world, too high and too proud and too fast to see anything but the grand and beautiful interlocking pattern of the earth and the rivers and the seas; and I would hear nothing but the whooshing of the wind.

// posted by night-rider @ 11:19 pm #
Comments:
Hello! I am here as promised and enjoying your musings. I am anonymous and that is because have not set up the blog thing yet - but might do so at weekend.
I liked this eagle piece because it was moving. The theme reminded me of the question from our mutual friend who asked 'what animal would you be and why' - though I seem to remember that time you choosing a different animal? What was it now??? Maybe ... a lion perhaps. Maybe it is good sometimes to be a hippo (or crocodile?) and loll about in the muddy boggy parts of life, it is thick and soupy there but so thin-aired up where the eagles fly. But an eagle trip woudl also definitely be nice. My favourite dream animal was a Tasmanian tiger who appeared one night to just look at me. I thought the tiger was trying to let me know it was not really extinct, just pretending to be for its own self-preservation: gone into hiding to protect itself from all the world's experts, captors, and others who might want to control it. Better to feign your own extinction than bring it on by showing yourself to the world??
 
That was so beautiful and poetic. If you were a bandicoot you wouldn't be able to post such beautiful prose (even if it is a little sad) for us. Thank you. Try to remember the positive things as well.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?