<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, March 08, 2004


Discipline 


What does the term discipline mean to you? Tonight, for me, it means sitting down and writing this post -simple.

Last night I started this blog. It took a bit of fiddling. It was 2.45 am when I last looked at the clock. This left me approximately 4 hours sleep before duty called me to face the new day. I'm no spring chicken any more and 4 hours sleep before a full day of work is not quite enough. Tonight I'm tired and uninspired but discipline is dragging my reluctant fingers over the keyboard. I said I was going to have a blog - I've started it -now I WILL write in it.

Discipline got me dressed and into the car this morning. Hey I have 4 years' worth of sickies built up but I'm not about to use them on self-inflicted pain.

Discipline kept me struggling with the computer at work till 6pm. Why? Well there was something that needed to be finished before tomorrow's concerns became today's.

Once home, discipline made me pick up the phone for 3 necessary calls and search the files for the missing dishwasher warranty - you guessed it, it's not only broken down but the warranty is 2 months out of date...grrr!

Discipline, to me is the structure that keeps me going. If there is a day to fill and no structure - well I won't get up till noon, then I'll read a book till 4 and before you know it, not just today but life has passed by.

I don't think of myself as a disciplined person, far from it. Discipline to me is the imperative that makes me listen to and act on my conscience. I need it, so I seek to impose it on myself. Get a job and go to it; finish what you start. Discipline is the fence that holds my life together.

What does discipline mean to you?

// posted by night-rider @ 9:43 pm #
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?